Sunday, February 14, 2010

intro cause essay revised(first draft)

Late as usual and in a foul mood, I was hastily running down the three flights of stairs at the Portland apartment. Out of nowhere, there’s this guy moseying his way up the stairwell like he didn’t have a care in the world. Just about the time I was ready to gross him out for being in my way, I looked up at him and standing in front of me was this very handsome stranger. Instead of my usual “move it buddy, can’t you see I’m in a hurry!” what came out was “do you want a roommate?“ Where that question came from was beyond my comprehension, I'd never said anything like this to a stranger before and yet he didn’t seem to be a bit offended. Instead, he just stood there grinning with his arms slightly crossed over his chest like he was waiting for me to say something else. Speechless, all I could muster was a smile back while thinking to myself, where did he come from, I haven‘t seen him around, is he single, will he ask me out?

1 comment:

  1. I like it...as a freestanding graf. The hook is better than ever, but it still is not clear what the topic is and what the reasons for what are. Actually, it's a little more obscure in the back end there than the earlier versions.

    I don't want you to write this way, but fill in the blanks here: "I am going to write about____ and give three reasons why_____, namely reason 1___, reason 2_____, and reason 3_____"


    If the reader can't fill in the blanks with material from the intro graf, you haven't got an intro graf yet.

    ReplyDelete