Tuesday, September 7, 2010

day 2 theme week 2

My first year of high school was a blur for me between the move, making new friends, and trying to fit in. I can tell ya an easy way to make quick enemies, though. Once during a football game, I was sitting with my “new school friends” and made a spectacle of myself when the opposing team got a goal! I thought I was going to be tossed right over the side of the bleachers!! Hey, it was for my old Brewer team!! What was a girl to do???I was jumping up and down amongst my Bucksport friends, hooting and hollering, “Hurray I’m for the other team!” making dog noises, woo-woo-woo, with my arm flailing around in a circle (like Julia Roberts did in the movie Pretty Woman when she was at the horse race) All I can say is I must have stopped in a respectable amount of time, cause I didn’t get tossed over the bleachers. I must have been out of my skull that night, or just basically didn’t give a shit.

I took drivers ed and got my permit first time around; the teacher ironically was the football coach (go figure) So here was the start of another new chapter in my life. My first car was a 1969 Buick skylark and it was the bomb! I bought it off my very first boyfriend (the older boy I got into all the trouble with) Tell you what, in high school, there’s nothing better in life than NOT ever having to ride the bus again, or so I thought. I was young and broke, and soon learned cars don’t go too far without maintenance, and this old Buick liked transmission fluid, about quart a week. Apparently brake fluid is another popular liquid with these old cars, too as I found out the hard way, literally.

There were three of us crammed into the front seat of the Buick, drinking, partying and singing to the blaring radio. Just as I crested the hill, I could see the train going across the tracks at the bottom and a little maverick car was stopped right in front of the railroad crossing. I stomped on the break petal and nothing happened!! I was not slowing down one bit and was heading directly for that maverick!! Maybe it was the whiskey, maybe it was the wet road, or maybe it was the lack of breaks, but all I remember is heading right into the back of that little maverick. SMASH, I hit that car with so much force it sent it squealing ahead, almost a full car length and mere inches from that moving train. Thankfully, no one was hurt; the vehicles on the other hand, totaled. When the wrecker put my car on the hoist, the cross member was broken and the engine practically fell out onto the ground. And as I watched the tow truck take away my Buick, all I could think of was I'm gonna have to ride that damn bus again!!!

4 comments:

  1. I'll read this tomorrow, I promise, but what the heck is it? Day 2, Week 2? Bless your heart, one theme a week is all I am asking for, though I'll read any and every word you care to write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You lived the wild life! Thank heavens you're now in an environment where none of your customers ever take risks, get frisky, look for something for nothing, mistake fun for an investment opportunity, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goody, I misinterpreted the assignment! So I'm done for the week!? For some odd ball reason I thought we were doing the same as the first week and writing daily! I actually was writing again until 12:30 this morning (after ethics class)I'll finish it and send it out as a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, daily writing! Not a bad idea if you can find a teacher who comes from a planet with 36 hour days! Do post it, but just a theme per week unless you hear otherwise, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete