Thursday, November 18, 2010

week 12 risky

Thinking back to my teen years and some of the shit I used to pull, this one in particular came to mind. Imagine a split level ranch; upstairs is the kitchen, living room, bathroom and master bedroom, downstairs are the 3 bedrooms and a laundry room. One night my mother and step father were going out to eat. My girl friend Kim was staying over and our plan was to have our boyfriends come over while my parents were out. They were a bit older than us; had their driver’s licenses and could buy beer. I know, statutory rape, but this was over 30 years ago. I knew if I got caught with these boys in the house, I’d be grounded for life. So the guys how up minutes after my parents pulled out of the driveway with a cooler filled with beer! How long did these guys think they were going to be able to stay! Seriously, how long does it take to go out to a restaurant, eat and come home? Anyway, we were listening to albums, smoking it up, throwing a few back and having a great time. I suddenly got really paranoid about my parents coming home cause I knew they’d be back at any time. Kim and the guys kept reassuring me everything would be fine, they‘d hide out in the closet once my parents got home and would wait quietly unit they went to bed. How naive can any human being be? Well, I fell for it. Here we are 2 young teens getting wasted with 18 and 19 year old guys in my bedroom at my mother’s house while she and my step dad were right upstairs! We ended up sneaking them out my bedroom window a few hours later, and to this day, I can still remember what a fiasco it was getting them out. They were trashed, loud and obnoxious yet not once did my mother or step dad yell down to find out what all the racket was. Thankfully my mother has to sleep with a fan on which must have been my saving grace. We were home safe, or so I thought. The next day after my step dad came home from work he sat me down and asked me if I had company over last night while they were out. I lied of course and said no. Well after about the third time I caved in and asked how he knew. I’m thinking duh Darlene, how the hell else do you think he knew! They practically woke the neighborhood trying to get out the damn window last night; I was still hung over, looked like shit and probably had hickies all over my neck. His reply was he’d noticed a McDonald’s bag out in the driveway that wasn’t there when they’d left last night so he just assumed I had friends over. He continued saying, you might want to tell your friends next time they ought to be more careful. If they're trying to sneak around, they shouldn’t leave behind their trash!

1 comment:

  1. A lot of people are missing the point of this assignment. It isn't to write about some time you took a risk. It's to write in a risky way or about a risky topic.

    Teenage stuff doesn't count as a risky topic for a grandmother! Not unless--well, I could throw out a few situations which might be risky to write about even years later, but they would be so over the top, so crude, so unpleasant, so risky to even mention that I don't dare to write them down.

    Look at the piece you did a few weeks ago, where we didn't know what the situation was or who was talking or thinking or narrating. That was risky in its style. Even writing about not losing your temper at some asshole customer at work was a riskier topic than this.

    Have you got a rewrite?

    ReplyDelete