Saturday, November 6, 2010

week 11 The Driveway

The driveway was very long and very secluded leading to dad’s new house; he asks us kids what we think of our new home.

The moving truck brings all the belongings to the house down the long driveway; we pick out our bedrooms today.

Dad has trees cut down about half way down the driveway to park the vehicles in the winter months because the bottom half is too steep to drive up.

The dog houses and their runs are set up at the end of the driveway in the turn around part.

All of us kids help make a rock walkway from the end of the driveway down to the house.

Whippoorwills sing every night in the trees around the end of the driveway.

The old chicken coup to the left of the driveway brings on many dares to see who will jump off the roof first.

My youngest step brother jumps first and breaks his leg; the chicken coup to the left of the driveway is torn down.

The barn at the end of the driveway on the right is spooky, old and full of giant spiders; I will not play hide and go seek in there.

Walking up and down the driveway to catch the bus for school, feels like eternity to get to the top. Sometimes my 2 step brothers and I race each other to the top.

Sledding down the driveway at what feels like 100 MPH and jumping the snow bank where all the snow was plowed at the very end, every landing knocks the wind out of us.

Riding our mini bikes up, down and all around the driveway; no helmets, no protection, lots of cuts and bruises but no broken bones!

A new pool is put in at the end of the driveway over where the old chicken coup once stood. Let the parties begin.

I get my first car and park it with all the other vehicles at the end of the driveway.

My 16th birthday and the driveway is full of cars and we celebrated.

Graduation day for me and my oldest step brother. In the driveway, dad hands us our graduation gifts; each of us receieve a bank book.

The police break up the 4th of July celebration and cop cars flood the driveway.

The ambulance heads up the driveway with my younger step-brother in it; he left a note.

Driveway is full again but this time with mourners.

A for sale sign is posted at the top of the driveway.

The moving truck slowly heads up the very long and very secluded driveway with our belongings, I never looked back.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the josiejo's 'Stairways'--it's one of those unforgettable pieces that seem to drop out of the sky. If you're interested, her whole 162 blog is in the oldtimers blogroll.

    I won't say you are imitating her here, though imitation is the sincerest tribute--because I think the truer word is 'inspired.' Stairways inspired The Driveway, and your piece is a worthy follow-up. 'Worthy' is a little bland to express my enthusiasm for this piece, because it is, you know--very good, certainly Eyrie good if you wanted to submit it.

    It has the air of being a piece that was easy to write and also one where once you got under way, your own enthusiasm and excitement grew as you saw how well it was taking shape and working. BTW, 'easy to write' can be a very good thing, if that's the actual case--because that ease translates for the reader into total confidence in the writer's style, idea, and execution. Even if it wasn't easy, that's the feeling we get.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you 100%, I did get my inspiration from the stairway piece and for some reason that house in Bucksport came to mind and I ran with it.

    ReplyDelete