Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Process essay

Over the years I have been told I make the best turkey and chicken pot pies ever. I learned at a young age how to make these delectable pies from my grandmother and have shared many with my family and friends. Like my grandmother, I never measured anything while making these pies until a few months ago. Over the holidays I made some sampler pies for a few co-workers and one of them insisted I give him the recipe so his wife could try to duplicate it. After a few attempts I believe I’ve come up with the proper amounts and measurements to make these pot pies. Here are the 3 steps I take to prepare my poultry pies: the pie crust, the cooking down of the bird and the innards of the pie.

I always make my pie crust first because I’ve found it’s much easier to rollout when it’s cold. For one two crust pie crust, measure out 2 ¼ cups flour, add 1 teaspoon salt and cut 2/3 lard (or shortening for those faint at heart) into the flour with a pastry blender or fork. Once the lard is blended into the flour and looks the size of peas you’ll want to add your water a little at a time. You’ll use around 3 or 4 tablespoons of water and make sure it is ice cold. Mix your dough as little as possible because over mixing makes for a tough crust. Wrap up your dough in plastic and refrigerate till later.

Take your poultry carcass and place it in a good size pot. Cover with cold water and rough chop a couple carrots, couple stalks of celery with the leaves, one big onion, a few cloves of garlic, 3 bay leaves, some peppercorns, bunch of fresh herbs, sea-salt, a tablespoon or so of Knorr’s chicken base and add to the pot. Bring to a boil and immediately turn the stove down low, cover the pot and let simmer for a few hours. Once cooled, strain the broth and set aside, toss the vegetables in the compost pile (trash, disposal) and start picking the meat off the bones. You’ll need about 2 cups of poultry for each pie you make. Cut up a few carrots and blanch them to be ready for the next step.

For the innards (gravy, sauce) take 1/3 cup of butter (or chicken fat from your stock) and sauté 1/3 cup onion for a few minutes. Add 1/3 cup flour and cook over medium heat for about a minute. Stir in about 1 ½ cups of your homemade stock and cook until bubbly. Remove from heat and add a tablespoon of fresh chopped parsley and sage (optional) and stir in 2/3 cup of half and half. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Toss in your cut up chicken or turkey, a couple handfuls of frozen peas and the blanched carrots, set aside. Split your cold dough in half, roll it out and ease into your deep dish pie plate. Pour in the “innards” and place top crust over and crimp. Poke a couple fork holes in the top crust and bake uncovered at 425° for about 35-40 minutes.

For me, while the pie is baking, the aroma reminds me of days spent with my grandmother in her kitchen and cooking all day. I can remember all the smiling, happy faces of my aunts and uncles knowing they were getting pot pie for supper that night. Once you cut into that pie and take that first bite, all those flavors practically melt in your mouth and all you’ll hear at the table is a lot of mmmmmmmmm’s. If you do ever have the time to make pies with your kids or grandkids, I hope this recipe comes to mind and makes happy memories for you and lots of mmmmmmmm’s at your table as well.

1 comment:

  1. Instructions won't work and 3/5s of this is nothing but instructions. If you want to describe your kitchen, your pots and pans, your attitudes toward lard, your oven, if you want to genuinely individualize it--it can work.

    But my suggestion for an easier rewrite would be to expand your graf 10.

    ReplyDelete