Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Graf 10 real-life research

One morning a few years ago, while on the treadmill, I saw an ad on TV for a
procedure called Essure. It’s a form of permanent birth control that’s done in the doctor’s office in minutes! “No way” I thought to myself, “I’ve gotta check this out”. I had been using birth control for years and had been thinking about sterilization but never took the initiative to find anything out about it. Later in the week when I saw the ad again I wrote the phone number down and gave the doctor’s office a call. I was mailed a packet to go over which was very informational. I also contacted my insurance company to make sure they covered this procedure considering it was new and my insurance benefits weren’t the best out there. I was sold! This new procedure seemed the way to go; the surgery wasn’t as invasive as a tubal ligation, I didn’t need to be put under anesthesia and stay in the hospital overnight, there were no hormones involved and my insurance company covered it.

I called to make the appointment and the receptionist I dealt with was very kind and had great phone etiquette. She wanted me to be sure I was ready for this because it was a permanent birth control and not reversible. She also reminded me I could call anytime if I had any questions prior to coming in for the procedure. Granted the packet and CD they sent were informative, but I really wanted to speak to someone that had the procedure done before, so I asked her if anyone in the office had it done. Sure enough, she had the procedure done a few months back and was happy to go over every detail with me so there would be no surprises.

It’s been years since I’ve had the procedure done and no unwanted pregnancies! I will never forget the that day in the doctor’s office and what it takes to have this procedure done, but I am glad I chose my method of permanent birth control to be done with Essure rather than tubal ligation; no physical scars. The only scars I have are the mental ones associated with being sterilized in a doctor’s office without being put under; oh the wonders of modern medicine.

1 comment:

  1. Nice piece, nicely done, and exactly what I had in mind for graf 10.

    ReplyDelete