Friday, October 8, 2010

week 6 place

I’d only heard the stories eavesdropping on all the older kids out by the pool at the campground. I’d never heard of a place where you could see Santa Clause in the middle of summer with elves, reindeer and rides, especially the flume. No way! I thought they were pulling my leg. All these tales about this so called Santa’s Village came to me the summer my grandparents bought a campground in Jefferson New Hampshire. I was pretty young at the time, so needless to say, my first visit was one I’ll never forget. The short drive over from the campground heightened my anticipation of visiting the park.

When we walked into the park, Christmas music was blasting from tiny little speakers that hung in the trees, the staff was dressed in cheesy elf costumes and there were a variety of smells in the air ranging from diesel fuel, food and animal excretions. I didn’t care; I wanted to go on the rides and sweet talk my grandparents into buying me stuff!

My first ride was on the antique cars and I picked out a blue one. The track was set up with a metal rail going through the center of it so the car kind of straddled the rail during the ride. I’ll never forget that sound of metal hitting metal whenever I wasn’t paying attention because the underside of the car would scrape that protective rail and make a screeching noise that would curl your hair. Even though they didn’t go very fast, it was loads of fun driving through covered bridges, standing water and mud!

I took a train ride on the Santa Express and although it was my first visit, I got to sit in the front seat with the conductor. He tooted the horn as we chugged by the bystanders and everyone was waving. Of course I thought they were waving at me because I was riding up front but I soon found out everyone sitting on the train behind me was waving at the bystanders, they were simply waving back! What a dumbass.

After a few more rides, I finally got to visit fake Santa and pet and feed his reindeer. The aroma of feces and urine filled the air as I looked at my grandmother with my face scrunched from the smell. It was time to move on and find some food and presents.

The grand finale was riding on the Yule Log Flume (which my grandparents saved for last) because I ended up getting soaked! My adrenaline pumped through my body as I rode around the forest anticipating the ride down. I headed straight up the North Station and before I could even let out a scream, down I went. I thought that log must have climbed over 100 feet and came down at 100 miles an hour! It was just the way the kids described it and it was definitely the best ride ever! I left that park with the biggest smile on my face and I can still remember how anxious I was to get back to the campground so I could be one of those kids telling tales about my visit to Santa Village.

2 comments:

  1. When I think over the things you've written, think about places you may have described--the one that comes to mind is that stairwell in Portland where you met Mr Right-for-Awhile.

    Funny what is left in a reader's memory after a while. That story and place remain when everything else has been forgotten.

    The second place is your description of the corner office you don't have.

    If I were in the business of assigning topics, I'd assign you a description of the slots room at you-know-where.

    ReplyDelete