Thursday, April 15, 2010

Example essay

After my parents divorced when I was 7, I lived with my mother until I was a teen. I ended up moving in with my dad and step mother just after my 14th birthday because I wanted to change schools. My stepmother had 2 boys from her previous marriage that lived with my dad, too. Actually, I grew up with these boys because when I visited my dad on weekends they were always there. Also, before the divorce, my step mother was my mother’s best friend. At one point our families were inseparable and did everything together then my step mother decided she wanted my dad and she won. Needless to say I harbored immense hatred and contempt for my step mother for apparent reasons; but she actually gave me a few others I’ll share with you.

After I moved in, I noticed she treated me way different than the boys. They didn’t have to lift a finger and I was treated like her new built in maid. Funny thing is, the boys and I were practically the same age and they didn’t even know how to load a dishwasher! I had a chore list like Cinderella and was busting my ass while they fucked off all the time. Needless to say, that little arrangement didn’t last long, I had those boys doing laundry and vacuuming within a month.

Another thing she loved to do was fuck with my head. Whenever I’d enter a room, she’d immediately stop talking; especially when she had all her friends over. She knew how to push my buttons and this little game she played really pissed me off. Not only would they stop talking, they’d all watch my every move and whisper between themselves. Then the giggling would start and it would make me feel so self conscience I wanted to crawl under a rock. How immature and disrespectful for adults to behave this way, I wanted to bash her in the head.

My step mother also got great enjoyment making fun of me and calling me names. Anytime I’d put make up on, especially eye shadow, she’d tell me I looked like a clown or how bad of a job it did applying it. She loved to tell me I looked fat or sleazy and actually threw out my favorite pair of Levis!! These jeans were worn and torn just the way I wanted and it had taken years to get them like that! I couldn’t believe the audacity! Whenever I’d lay out by the pool on my stomach with my bikini top unhooked, she’ d walk by my lawn chair and spew nasty things like you little slut, or you such a whore, etc…Our driveway was a ½ mile long and the house was in a secluded area, we had NO neighbors around to even see me!!!!! Visions of drowning her sorry ass in that pool crossed my mind more than once.

I only had to endure her crap for a couple years because once I graduated my junior year of high school, I was out of there. I’m not going to say I didn’t give this woman shit, because I went way out of my way to make her life a living hell. I always told her she’d be haunted for the rest of her life for what she did to my mother. Years have gone by and occasionally she does cross my mind. I can only hope the ole proverb “what comes around, goes around” has found its way into her life.

2 comments:

  1. This reads to me like a fine cause essay, where you are giving, just as you promise, your reasons for hating the woman. But you are not really giving examples so much as reasons. Only graf 4 deals with specific examples.

    So, I'm on the fence with this one. I'll happily take it as is as example, if you've learned everything you can from the assignment. Or you can tweak the setup and the support examples and rewrite. Your choice--tell me what to do because I'm leaving the grade book empty til I hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I chose a rewrite, let me know what you think!
    I'm trying to get a head with these essays, so I can spend more time on my isearch :)

    ReplyDelete