Monday, August 30, 2010

8/30/10 journal

Monday morning, 10am…still feeling the exhaustion from a long weekend at the folk festival. I’m torn between exhilaration and irritation. Part of me is still pumped from volunteering as an “artist buddy” for the Dr. Michael White quartet and getting the opportunity to meet numerous musicians from many counties over the world yet I come home to disorder and messiness. Sink full of dishes, cat box not cleaned out, laundry strewn, dust balls, dirty floors and sigh…….just plain ole housework apparently saved up for me to do in my spare time. Spare time, HA, what a joke…. am trying very hard to not let this get me down because I don’t want to spoil the high I’ve had since Friday night but really, where is it written that it’s the woman’s job to do all the housework? I mean, seriously, my significant other is retired, knows I work an extremely busy schedule, was gone all weekend and with school starting this week, do you think he would have stepped-up to the plate to help out, obviously not. Maybe I wouldn’t mind so much if I wasn’t living in my new home I’ve waited years to move into, it just seems a shame to see the beautiful hardwood floors dusty and dirty and the deep stainless sink full of dishes and the granite countertops congested with crap. Anyway, like I said I’m not gonna let this bum me out, it will be there when I get to it, right? (I just pray I don’t have any unexpected guests!)
So, I get a call while on vacation a couple weeks back from a woman that works with me and she asks if I’d be interested in volunteering for a really cool gig for the festival. I have to admit, I hesitated only because I know how short and precious any spare time is for me. I’m a new grandmother and love to spend as much time possible with my grandson while letting my daughter get a quick break every once in a while. In the same breath, I’ve been thinking about getting more involved in the community so I took her up on the offer. We met last Wednesday for everyone to meet and greet and to get our assignments. Some of these volunteers have been doing this since year one and after my one weekend, I’ve been asking myself, where the hell have I been all these years? Not only was this an eye opener as far as the incredible amount of support this American Folk Festival gets from the volunteers but how smoothly and how much is involved in getting the show on the road. Thursday night was the sponsor party down at the waterfront. It was a great opportunity for me to meet the people/businesses that donate to keep this festival alive for Bangor. Friday, I was able to double up with another “artist buddy” to learn the ropes, so to speak. Her band was The Other Europeans Band with 14 or 15 members and they were amazing! Only a few band members are from the US, most were from many different countries across Europe. There is nothing like being behind the scenes, on the stage watching a performance so close you can almost touch them. Then when the show is over, to have the opportunity to break bread with them, converse with them, and hear their stories. All I can say is “wow” because words can’t quite describe it.
Since this past weekend, and during this past hour writing my thoughts down, I can now see this was the beginning of a new chapter in my life; I have turned the page and I’m ready to move ahead. I’m not going to let a dirty house bring me down, I’m going to embrace it and be thankful I have a house. I’m going to cherish the time I had with all the new friends I made and look forward to next year when I can do it all over again.

2 comments:

  1. "because words can’t quite describe it."

    AWWWWWWWWWWW, darlene! Never ever ever ever say that to an English teacher, especially me, unless you want your life to be hell thereafter!

    Words can do anything!!!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, poor choice of verbiage on my part, it won’t happen again…I have enough hell in my life right now, don’t need any more , thank you very much! 

    ReplyDelete